Thursday, May 8, 2014

I'm here!

Hey ladies!

So sorry I've been absent this week. I've been trying to get ahead on homework/classwork for this week (we have a lot going on this weekend) and completely forgot to "check-in".

Julia I think the first link you posted is a great source! I really feel we should incorporate that into our paper/research. I did notice that it is a slightly older article and so it doesn't talk about the most recent changes to Facebook. You can now set your privacy settings so that you have to "approve" pictures, status updates, and anything else that has you "tagged". I currently have my profile set to this so that I get to "approve" what other people can post on my page and what can be seen by people who view my page. With that said it still doesn't stop people from posting pictures on their page without your permission; it just allows you to have a little more control.

In my opinion, and this is just so we can get conversation started, I don't think that it's okay for people to add pictures of you to facebook or any social media, without your approval first. However, I have had this done to me before and have actually done this and didn't mind. I think this was/is mainly due to the fact that those who I take pictures with and those who take pictures with/of my children are close friends and family. I use Facebook a lot for picture sharing since we have a TON of family in many different states. It allows us to all stay connected and feel like we are still involved/apart of one another's lives. However, there have been times when people I attend church with will take a picture of my children and ask if it's okay if they upload it to the church Facebook page. I don't think I've ever said "No" because I, personally, don't mind. But there are people that do and that's why I believe it is common courtesy just to ask and make sure it's okay.
I think the main "issue" is that our ideas of what is acceptable/not acceptable have really evolved over the years, even more so recently with social media growing so rapidly. I think had we'd been asked a few years ago if it was okay to post a picture on Facebook (or any social media) without a person's permission we would have said, "Definitely not". However, because the social "norm" has changed I think we have also changed too; and so now we feel like it's common courtesy but it isn't as big of a deal because it happens so much.

I found this article which explains the "liability" of posting pictures to Facebook without a person's permission.

I also think it would be a GREAT idea showing both views on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment